Sunday, October 3, 2010

the bloggess

Friday was the most bizarre day of my life.

If you check my blog frequently (which I'm pretty sure no one does anymore) you'll notice that my most recent post, titled "Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens" has been deleted. At the end of that post, I mentioned that I'd found a new blog that I thought was funny. And, in the process of commending that blog, I said some mean things about another, similar one - thebloggess.com.

I published that post on Thursday. Friday afternoon, while I was at the gym, I got a notification that Jenny The Bloggess had commented on my post.

I died.

Let me give you some perspective... Jenny has over 60,000 followers on Twitter and is pretty famous among humor bloggers. Everyone links to her. Look, even I'm going to link to her.

And she commented on my blog.

On a post where I called her "depressed," "passive-aggressive," and not at all funny.

Yes, I died. I couldn't even read what she said, I texted Scott and made him do it instead. But as it turns out, she wrote a comment which was actually nice! She said "Huh, I don't find my humor very pleasing either. We should be friends."

My mind was pretty blown and I finished my workout in a daze. As I walked home I mentally composed an apology email and tried desperately to get a grip. When I got home I checked her blog and her twitter to see what she was saying. She didn't blog about it, but she did tweet about me a little. I couldn't quite tell if she was angry or not but I could not calm down until I emailed her a lengthy, comprehensive, and self-deprecating email.

And then...

She wrote back! And she was SO nice. She said that she wasn't mad at all, she wasn't trying to mess with me and she finished by saying "we're cool." I died again, in a good way.

This is my summary of the situation:

1. The bloggess is the nicest person ever, in the whole world. I was mean to her, and she was NICE to me. I am her fan now. I'm also going to tell people we're friends even though that's a bit of a stretch.
2. Apparently the internet isn't the vast abyss I'd assumed. The things I say can find their way into the wrong place. I'm debating deleting my Felicity post, since I don't want Keri Russell getting upset that I said her head was small. (But her head IS small, there's no doubt about that.)
3. SOMEONE OUT THERE SENT A LINK TO THE BLOGGESS. And since my readership is my mom, sister, boyfriend, Cristy, approx 2 friends, and 2 of my mom's friends...WHO THE HELL WAS IT? Fess up. Please?

6 comments:

  1. Wasn't me Sam, I don't even remember you blog-bashing anyone. I do however check YOUR blog everyday so you need to step it up a bit. I have no life and am living vicariously through you!!!!

    Dianne(on of your mom's friends)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't claim this one either but I do check the blog everyday and I'm with Dianne....STEP IT UP YOU BIG GIGANTIC SLACKER! I heart you very, very much and I do a little happy dance every time I make it into your blog!

    XOXO,
    Cristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog and you didn't even mention me!!

    Cristy's mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish I could claim that! Now you have a great connection and new friend. And yes, the blogging community, I am learning, is not such a huge abyss. I check my viewer stats and find out that people in Germany and Russia and all over the world have read my blog. Uh, huh???? Seriously? How do they get it? I'm up to almost 700 views and I've only posted like less than ten blogs. I'm pretty sure than my mom has only read it like two times, so it can't be her. Sam, needless to say, you MUST keep up your sarcastic comments because I absolutely love them!! -M

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEY BEAMER... I NEED SOME GOOD ENTERTAINMENT WHICH MEANS YOU NEED TO POST SOME MORE BLOGS!!!!!!!!!!! I MISS READING YOUR SARCASTIC THOUGHTS AND PRETENDING THAT I'M HANGING OUT WITH YOU! K? LOVE AND MISS YOU- MEL

    ReplyDelete